The day after D-Day I went to the closest gas station and purchased a pack of cigarettes. I hadn't bought any in years and wasn't sure what I wanted. The guy behind the counter, a thin, rather attractive middle aged man was so very helpful and friendly. He noticed my eyes were red and swollen and considerately inquired if everything was OK. I told him I found out my boyfriend was cheating and that my life was exploding. He expressed his concern and sympathy, processed my transaction and spoke so kindly to me. He really did make me feel better. A little compassion can go such a long way.
Over the last few years he has always greeted me with a smile and friendly eyes, saying "hello darling, how may I help you?" He smiled and acted truly happy to see me. Once he gave me free cookies when I admired them at the checkout.
All this was friendly and never creepy.
On one occasion I stopped in on my way home from running. He noted our common interest and told me how he used to be a runner but suffered a horrible motorcycling accident as a young man. He literally died on the table but pulled through to thankfully survive...however he has not been able to run since due to his injuries. I was touched by his story and willingness to share.
Today I happen to run in to him at the checkout in the HyVee grocery store. He recognized me and gave me a warm hello. He told me he is moving; retiring on February 20th, that he plans to visit friends and move to Texas and take up an old hobby of competitive shooting.
I was truly sad to hear he would be leaving but so happy to hear how excited he was for his future adventures.
As I left the store I mentally noted that I must stop by and see if I can get his name and address so I can keep in touch. Maybe he is on Facebook and I can friend him. I plan to tell him how much he has actually touched my life. I hope to give him a big hug goodbye.
Some people just bring joy and light to other. He is one of those people. I feel lucky to have accidentally found myself in his aura.
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
ReplyDelete