Wednesday, September 11, 2019

Walking (part 2)

I called the only orthopedic group in town that takes my insurance and begged for a new doctor.  I asked for a knee doctor, a sports doctor.  Anyone besides the last asshat who wouldn't listen to a word I said.  I actually had to get the jerky old doctors permission to switch!

On June 19th I saw a new doctor.  This time I was going to impress on him that walking was scary, that my knee would give out, that my knee swelled up like a bowling ball, etc.

He didn't seem impressed UGH!.....but agreed to order an MRI.  I could tell that he didn't think anything was really wrong either, but I put my faith in the pictures and hoped the MRI would finally show them I had a real issue and needed help.

The day he called with my results I wasn't by my phone and when I called back he was gone for the day.  (do any doctors actually work all day on Friday?)  I had all weekend to strew.  His message was certainly not the "We found it" I had hoped for so I was scrambling for what to do next.

I researched knee issues and decided it was probably a meniscus issue but assumed that would show up on an MRI.  I memorized the terms listed for Meniscus tear symptoms so I would use the right words.  On Monday I finally got a hold of the doctor who was still being all meh about it.  I complained of the popping and the pain and mostly my inability to walk without fear of my knee collapsing.  I stressed that "I am too young to give up walking!"  He finally said it might be a good idea to talk to a surgeon just in case I needed arthroscopic surgery.  I said I'll take it.  (in hind sight I think he wanted to shuffle me off so he didn't have to deal with me)

The office phoned me to make another appointment, this time with a true knee surgeon.  Surely this guy would see the MRI, find the issue and things would be better.  It was another couple of weeks before I could get in to see him.  In the meantime I asked my Facebook friends if he was a good surgeon and happily found him reliable.

At this point it is mid July.  I have been in pain since mid January.  I have not walked right since the cortisone shot wore off in mid April.  I have not slept well in 6 months due to pain.

I arrive on time for my appointment and a nurse ushers me back.  She sets me down in the exam room and starts asking me questions.  This time I brought a list of symptoms, a time line of events, as well as a list of what i think it is and what my goals are.  GO ME!

She takes her notes and leaves and another fellow shows up.  It's Dan the doctors assistant.  He asks me all the same questions again.  At this point I'm feeling like they are just giving me some attention so they can let me down easy with the same old story that it is just arthritis.

Finally the surgeon came in.....asks me all the questions AGAIN.  I run him through my notes.  He does a quick exam and says the popping is from arthritis.  By now my hopes that they found the issue have faded and I am feeling very let down and desperate.  I asked him to see the x-rays and the MRI.  So he runs and gets his laptop and shows me the x-rays first.  He make a huge point of showing me the arthritis.  Yea, yea...I know I have arthritis but I had that in December and I could still run.  Grrr

Next he shows me the MRI.  He flips through each slice pointing out the arthritis again and then he starts to show me where the meniscus is.  I know where it is because I studied the internet before I came in but I diligently listen as he points to the gray photos.  Then, all of a sudden he points to the inside of the meniscus and shows me a spot that is darker.  He says "looks like your meniscus is detached on the inside.  No wonder you have been in pain!" 

The relief that washed over me was palatable and I thanked him profusely for finding the issue.  He wanted to get me scheduled for surgery the very next week.  I was overwhelmed with emotion.  My heart was racing and I may have started crying a bit.  Finally, FINALLY, proof that I was really injured and not being a whiny old lady with arthritis! 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a comment or I won't know you are out there!